Blog

Excluding IPs from HTTP auth when Apache is behind Varnish

I had a situation whereby I had to protect a site with HTTP auth, but exclude a certain IP address or two from having to use HTTP auth (e.g loadtesting).

The problem was, the site was also behind a Varnish proxy. So I couldn't do 'Allow from (ip)' in the Apache settings, because the IP would always be the IP address of the Varnish server at this point.

And obviously, I couldn't 'Allow from (varnish ip)' because that's the same as not having any HTTP auth at all :)

Video: Continuous Integration & Jenkins deployment, DC Toulouse 2011

Way back in November 2011, I did an unusual thing: I co-presented a talk about Drupal and Continuous Integration/Deployment at DrupalCamp Toulouse, except that I was Skyped in from my home town of Melbourne, Australia :)

The talk is actually mainly presented by Greg Harvey of Code Enigma, one of my clients, and I just provide - well, I don't know, comic relief with my Australian accent? :)

Aegir video from DrupalDownUnder 2012

Last weekend (on the 15th January) I delivered a talk on Aegir at DrupalDownUnder 2012. I tried to do something we've not done before in Aegir demos: demonstrate basic usage along with more advanced, automated use of Aegir.

Overall I was happy with my talk - I ran out of time, as I was a bit too ambitious, but I really wanted to show the advanced stuff without alienating the newbies.

NoClassDefFoundError on Solr replication slave

I've recently been working on a project for a client that required Solr 3.4 (which we implemented using these packages for Ubuntu 10.04)

Additionally, in production we've implemented two solr servers in replication (one master, one slave).

Having never done this before, I followed the example in the solrconfig.xml that was commented out, as well as this documentation.

Enforcing apt-get update prior to any packages installing via Puppet

I've been having weird, inconsistent bugs occur when running Puppet especially on new systems (where it's more obvious).

Specifically: I've seen cases where a manifest Notifies the apt-get update Exec to refresh the apt database, and suddenly the next series of package installs have failed with 'could not find package'.